Sunday, January 2, 2011

Toward a Healthier, Less Processed Kitchen ... Muffins!


One of the main tenets of my goal to make our kitchen healthier is the commitment to baking regularly so that we don't have to buy cookies or cakes or things like that (I'm not yet up for major bread-making duty, but I'm hoping to get there.

Since I made that commitment, I realized for not the first time that I much prefer cooking to baking. For me, baking has the exactness of science, whereas cooking has the creativity and flexibility of art. So, because my commitment requires me to bake about twice a week, I'm looking for easy, healthy, no-fuss recipes for cookies, muffins, and sweet breads -- things we can incorporate into our breakfasts and packed lunches.

So, I just made sugar free pumpkin oatmeal muffins with raisins. Here's the recipe -- I adapted it from a few different versions I found online:


Sugar free pumpkin oatmeal muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup while flour
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1.5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup regular (not quick-cook) oatmeal
1 cup baking Splenda (or 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar)
1 large egg, beaten (or equivalent egg replacer)
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or canola oil, if you're feeling decadent)
3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup raisins or chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin.

Stir dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.

In a small bowl, blend egg, applesauce, soy milk and canned pumpkin until they are well combined. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in raisins or chocolate chips. Batter will be lumpy.

Use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake for 18-22 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment